Monday, February 28, 2011

Frosty's Fall

Had a bit of a scare this morning.

After Frost finished up his math lesson, I sent him to have a quick break while I was finishing up some work on the computer. Not 2 minutes later, we hear a big crash...and in our house, that is really not so unusual, more like a daily occurrence...so I yell out, "What happened?" No one responded...which is not uncommon either around here. I then hear Liam talking about paint. Telling someone, "...it's paint. You have it on your face." He was repeating himself, so whoever he was talking to was not acknowledging him...as he does this often. My first thought was him and Zach were messing around in our paint supplies. I hopped up to find out what they were doing.

I end up walking over to find Liam kneeling over Frosty who was laying face down on top of a trifold display board. {The night before, Frost had used a bunch of stuff he found, like the trifold, to build a fort so he and Danny could have a dart gun war.} I called out Frosty's name, and he did not respond to me. So I yelled his name, and he looked up at me...the whole left side of his face, and his nose and mouth were covered in blood! There was also a bunch of blood smeared on the trifold.

As he looked up at me, he was looking at me, but he was NOT actually seeing me. Took me a bit to get him up. I kept asking him to tell me what had happened. He was still not responding to me...not talking at all...just looking around very dazed. I started to go into panic mode. I started talking a little louder, telling him to LOOK AT ME, he had a very hard time staying focused on me. I was trying to ask Liam what had happened, but he wasn't much help.

I got Frost to the couch and sat down. He FINALLY started trying to answer my questions. He was trying to convince me that he was tired and just laid down to sleep. I would tell him, "Frost. We heard the crash, you have blood on you, I think you fell." He would, a little too calm for me, responded with...I was asleep. I just told him he had blood on his face...and he didn't react to that at all.

As he was starting to talk a little more...we were asking him about what happened. And what happened before the fall...like what he did this morning. He couldn't remember...or he thought he had done it yesterday. We had to fill him in, and remind him of what we did this morning.

I got really worried because he kept telling me he was really tired...and his eyes kept drooping. I called Danny. I was sitting right next Frost talking to Danny telling him what happened, that I was worried, and that he needed to come home NOW! Crying the whole time!

After I got off the phone with Danny, I had to get a tissue. I went into the kitchen, when I did Frosty got up, took maybe 1 to 2 steps, and fell again! I got him back to the couch again. Which was about when Danny called back again. I made Arlee sit with Frosty to make sure he stayed put, and stayed awake. Danny told me he would meet us up at the hospital.

So after a quick throw together of Frosty and myself...who both of us, like a lot of home schoolers, were still in our night clothes...got out the door, in the van, and on our way. Of course, I was OUT OF GAS!! UGH!! So we had to stop on the way to fill up. I was so worried to leave him in the van alone, but I hated to make him walk in the store either!! I just hurried up...paid for the gas, got him something to drink, filled up and we were on our way again.

By the time we got to the hospital...he was talking much better. Remember when I mentioned about calling Danny when I was sitting right next to Frosty?? Well, he started telling me that he got scared when I was rushing around the house. I said to him, "It probably didn't help that I was freaking out on the phone to Daddy sobbing all over the place." He said, "I didn't see you. You must have been in the kitchen then."

He had asked me 3 different times, on the way, where he was when I found him. He also let me know that his cheek hurt. Inside and out. He showed me the inside, which was pretty cut up. Probably was bleeding as well when he hit. Once at the hospital we found on Frosty's left cheek, it became swollen, red and purple'ish, and there was a line like he hit the edge of something. He also has a mark on the side of his neck and on his chest/stomach.

When we finally got to see the dr, they did a once over on him. All his vitals were good. The dr said with the cut up inside cheek and how long it really took Frost to "pull back together", and loss of memory, he's leaning toward seizure. They did a EKG, and the one thing they were looking for which would suggest a possible seizure, was not there. They also drew blood which they said came back fine.

I have an appointment for tomorrow for us to go see our family dr for a referral to see a pediatric neurologist.

We are keeping our fingers crossed that it is ONLY that he just tripped over something, fell, and knocked himself out for a minute there. He does not remember falling at all. He remembers finishing up his math, and going into the living room. He remembers Liam asking him to fix the dvd player so he could use it. We have this older tv that they use to just watch dvd's in our living room...it's sitting on the floor. Frosty's "fort" he was building was sorta around this...and with all the extra stuff piled up, Liam couldn't get the dvd to work with the remote. SO Frosty went to move the dvd player on top of the tv....it fell, and he picked it up again and put it on the tv again. And that's it. He doesn't remember anything else after that. So we don't know if he tripped over something, if he just got up too fast and fainted, or if maybe he did have a seizure and fell because of it.

Oh gosh...I forgot. When the dr was explaining stuff to us...letting us know it could be a fainting spell, he said that sometimes over emotional stuff could bring it on. Then he started talking seizures...next thing you know, Danny's getting majorly light headed!! Almost had him pass out on me too!!!

What a day! I will keep everyone updated on how Frosty is doing. He's resting right now on the couch.

No comments:

Post a Comment