Friday, February 25, 2011

More Doing, Less Planning

Last week, I came across an article I found a long time ago. It talks about being remarkable. One of the suggestions is, "Remarkable is more doing and less planning". I'm so guilty of doing so much planning, but not enough doing!! Especially when it comes to our home schooling. From time to time, I will go through pages in my notebook trying to work out a "perfect schedule" to get things done around here. I know I've wasted a lot of time planning for things...and then never really executed them anyway. There is NEVER going to be enough time in my day to get EVERYTHING in...it's impossible!! And I'm pretty sure I'm right...I've been trying for 5 years now!

For me, trying to plan out that "perfect schedule" is nothing but a waste of valuable time and energy that I've done WAY to many times. To learn to start doing more often...I think that's the key...at least for myself. Which sounds great in my head, and looks very logical written out here...so, now to just figure out how to actually get myself to follow my own advice!

"To Do" lists usually have worked so much better for me. No time frames at all...just a list of what needs to be done. That way if something comes up, or something takes longer, I don't fall out of sync with the times and then just feel the stress of "being behind."

From time to time, I keep trying to convince myself, also, that if we get up earlier everything will fall into place better. Which, just may be the case. But, with our family, we are just not morning people. The kids nor I. Neither is my Husband, he just HAS to get up as early as he does to get to work. On the weekends, he sleeps just as late as the rest of us!

Sometimes I have to remind myself that what we do is what we do. It most definitely, and I'm totally willing to admit this, it's not the perfect way to do things, and there really isn't a whole lot of structure here, but somehow, we can make it work for us. And, in the end, I guess that is really all that matters.

No comments:

Post a Comment